Something I regularly emphasise to my clients is the importance of nourishing your digestive energy. In Chinese Medicine, the morning is when this digestive ‘fire’ is at it’s peak and if you don’t eat a healthy breakfast (or you skip it altogether), you weaken this energy.
On the contrary, if you DO eat a warm, healthy breakfast you will strengthen it.
As I’ve said many times before, all health begins in the gut and healthy digestion is especially important for supporting your fertility and pregnancy.
This is because if our gut health is compromised, the body ‘steals’ energy from the kidney system which governs reproduction. Meaning it may be harder for you to conceive or sustain a healthy pregnancy.
When you eat a warm breakfast that contains protein, you balance your blood sugar levels, helping you stay full and have more energy until lunchtime.
It also encourages the production of more healthy, nutrient rich blood cells which are needed to build a healthy uterine lining.
Other benefits of having good, nutrient dense blood flowing around your body are:
- supple skin 😁
- eyes less dry 👁
- joints more flexible 👌
- increased energy 🏃♀️
So here’s a really healthy breakfast that ticks all those boxes and is super quick and easy to make: 🥣
- Cook a cup of whole grains – eg oats or quinoa
- Add the following:
- A handful of goji berries which are used in Chinese herbal formulas to build the blood (they are the red berries in and beside the bowl in the image). Available from health food shops. If you can’t get hold of Goji’s, any kind of dark berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries) will work just as well.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil – this supports the thyroid and is a source of healthy fat. Thyroid health is crucial for fertility.
- 1 tsp honey – mostly for taste but also because it supports the immune system.
- A handful of walnuts – high in fertility-friendly omegas and also add protein.
- 1 tbsp chia seeds – an amazing fertility superfood as they are rich in antioxidants, protein and omegas.
- Optional additions: fresh berries, other nuts, raisins, cranberries.
This tasty breakfast should help balance the cycle whether you are trying to conceive or not. Give it a try this month and let me know if you notice any changes.